Join Baked Smart Cookie in Celebrating National Salad Month!
One carrot, two carrots, three carrots, crunch. Leafy greens, a little dressing, croutons, crunch.
Salads are for sure an all-time favorite. It might be that we can toss almost anything into them and they will undoubtedly taste delicious. From veggies to fruits, nuts, and more, the options are endless.
Plus, salads can be some of the healthiest meals you’ll eat, if you choose the right ingredients.
Here at Baked Smart Cookie, we’re celebrating National Salad Month throughout May because we love fruits and vegetables, and adore the health benefits they offer.
How Can I Celebrate National Salad Month?
There are various ways you can celebrate National Salad Month. One of the simplest ways you can do this is by creating different salad recipes throughout the month for your family and friends.
We’ve collected two different and tasty easy-to-make salad recipes to get you started.
1. Basil Pesto Chicken Pasta Salad
- Cutting board
- Sheet pan
- 12 oz boneless chicken thighs
- 4 tbsp basil pesto sauce
- 2 cups arugula
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- 1 cup dry rotini pasta
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Boil pasta and cook until done.
- On a separate skillet, start to marinate chicken with 2 tbsp of basil pesto sauce. Sear the chicken on both sides until golden crisp.
- Transfer the chicken to a sheet pan and place it in the oven to finish cooking. Cook for 20-25 minutes until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165 Fahrenheit.
- Once the pasta is cooked, drain and set to the side.
- After the chicken is finished cooking, let it rest on the cutting board for 5 to 7 minutes before slicing. Then slice it into bite-size pieces.
- In a bowl, add pasta, chicken, arugula, cherry tomatoes, and 2 tbsp of basil pesto sauce. Mix all ingredients well
- This dish can be served hot or cold.
2. Chicken and Mandarin Orange Salad
- Indoor griddle/grill
- Oven/ toaster
- Cutting board
- Small sheet pan
- 1 ¼ lbs boneless chicken thigh or chicken breast
- 6 oz jar of sun-dried tomato pesto sauce
- 8 oz canned mandarin oranges
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 8 cups salad mix
- 1 bottle of your favorite salad dressing (vinaigrette recommended)
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Preheat indoor griddle/grill on medium-high.
- Marinate chicken with sun-dried tomato pesto sauce, covering the entire surface of the meat.
- Slice cherry tomatoes in half.
- Drain mandarin oranges.
- Place the chicken on the preheated indoor griddle/grill and sear the chicken on each side for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the griddle and place it on a sheet pan. Place it in the oven for 15 minutes until the chicken cooks all the way through.
- While the chicken is cooking, make your salad by mixing the cherry tomatoes and mandarin oranges in a bowl. Add the salad mix and add your favorite dressing.
- When the chicken is finished set it aside and let cool for 5 minutes.
- Slice the chicken into bite size pieces and add it to the salad mix.
You can have fun with salad this month by trying all different types of recipes.
Here at Baked Smart Cookie, we put a twist on eating healthy by providing your family with healthy cookies made of 8 different types of fruits and veggies. Plus, they’re non-GMO, vegan, and kid-approved!
So go ahead, make a tasty fresh salad and enjoy one of our healthy cookies at your next meal.